In June 2014, the Library began developing a three-year strategic plan in order to determine how the Library can best support the residents of Carol Stream. Members of the community had the opportunity to contribute throughout the strategic planning process.
The final strategic plan, approved by the Board in December 2014, outlined four main goals. One of those goals is to create a welcoming environment to attract and engage the community. The first step in that process was to conduct a space-usage analysis (also referred to as a Masterplan) which is an in-depth review of how all space in our Library is currently being used. As part of the master plan process, staff, Library Trustees and community members are asked to identify areas that need improvement. The Library contracted with Product Architecture & Design (PA&D) to create our master plan. PA&D excels at creating attractive and functional spaces that fulfill the needs of the community. PA&D has created space plans for several local area libraries such as Glenside, Warrenville, and Glen Ellyn.
- December 2014: The Library finalized its Strategic Plan. One of the goals identified in the Strategic Plan was to create a welcoming library environment to attract and engage the community.
- Spring-Fall 2017: The Library worked with Product Architecture & Design to create a master space plan.
- December 2017: The final master space plan was approved at the December 2017 Library Board meeting. At this meeting, the Board also approved exploring the sale of the Kuhn Road property as a possible source of funding for the project.
- January 16, 2018: The Library Board of Trustees met with the Village Board of Trustees to discuss options for funding the project.
- February-March 2018: The Library hosted two public forums. The first one was held on Sunday, February 18 at 1:30 p.m. The second forum was held on Sunday, March 25 at 1:30 p.m. Click here to view the presentation as a PDF. Click here to view the companion informational handout.
- March 19, 2018: The Carol Stream Village Board of Trustees unanimously approved the Library's request for a $2,000,000 loan to make up the deficit in the funding of the Library's renovation project.
- May 2018: Construction management firm, FQC, chosen.
- August 2018: Schematic designs for the project were finalized.
- November 2018: Design development plans were finalized.
- December 2018-January 2019: Bid process
- January 2019: Contractors chosen from bid process
- April 1, 2019: Construction begins
- April-June 2019*: Public restrooms, Administration offices (and converting current Adult Services offices to Youth Service), back wall of windows, and vending café under construction
- June-August 2019*: Meeting rooms, new Adult Services offices, and back wall of windows under construction
- August-November 2019*: Main floor construction begins on new Adult Services, Patios
- December-March 2020*: Lobby and main floor construction of Youth Services
- March 2020*: Estimated date of completion
*Dates may change due to evolving circumstances.